-->

Monday, May 6, 2013

Love Makes You Do the Wacky

I'm currently on a How I Met Your Mother kick. I have Netflix and I made myself keep watching because I hated almost the first half of season one (it was so awkward it was almost unwatchable for me), but then it suddenly got interesting and funny.

One of my favorite things about the show is seeing Alyson Hannigan on there. It's a throwback to my teen years. Like a game of Six Degrees of... I have became nostalgic for Buffy again.

I have every season on DVD. I loved that show so much. It had all my favorite things: epic romance, fabulous fashion, quips, sarcasm and most importantly, death by crossbow.

Never underestimate the importance of death by crossbow.

Anyhow I dusted off the old  Buffy DVDs, picked a random episode and watched the season three episode, Lovers Walk. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Spike before Marti Noxen ruined everything forever by neutering him and making him repulsive in every way.  Note to any and all romance writers, myself included; sometimes sexual tension is wonderful in it's own right and adds depth and fascination. But, just because it's there doesn't mean your characters should act on it or even would act on it.

Tread carefully because sexual tension doesn't equal happily ever after.

That's really the extent of what I have to say about writing. This whole post was really an excuse to post one of the many fantastic Spike-isms about love. This particular one was directed at Buffy and Angel as they went about trying to be friends after their long and painful relationship ended.
You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love 'til it kills you both. You'll fight, and you'll shag, and you'll hate each other 'til it makes you quiver, but you'll never be friends. Love isn't brain, children, it's blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it. 


I love that.


What is your favorite Buffy Quote? Not a Whedonite? Then tell me any favorite quote about love.

10 comments:

  1. Now Spike may not have been all that in the last eps, but there was no denying that the hottest thing ever on TV was when Spike and Buffy in that house. I think they would have worked had Buffy just gotten over Angel. I mean, I liked B & A together, but there was too much water under the bridge for them to really work. Spike was better for her. Okay, I'm ducking now so you don't hit me as I know my theory is quite unpopular with my fellow Buffy fans. :) Fave quote on love is a lyric from Aerosmith "For every love letter written, there's another one burned."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I will restrain my self from physical violence :D

      I get the people that liked them as a couple. They were both volatile, sexy and crazy. Seems right. But it never played right for me. I liked Spike as he was and watching him be Dru's lapdog was funny. Watching him be Buffy's was pathetic. Plus the whole attempted rape thing squicked me out hardcore and was never really addressed. It was too much. The worst part for me was that they always used every relationship to punish Buffy. She was always filled with shame for every person she ever loved. Being with Spike filled her with intense shame and that was one thing I never forgave Marti Noxen for. Don't make her shame-y. I hate that.

      I never had a particular ship for Buffy. Riley was ten pounds of doofus crammed into a five pound bag. He didn't deserve her. Angel was... really complicated. And also too filled with shame to be with her. Xander, no. She never respected him. Loved him yes, but never gave him respect. I really liked Principal Robin for her until he went all vampire fucknuts crazy on her.

      I never shipped anyone on that show except... well I had a secret ship that I have kept to myself because it's wrong. I'll never tell.

      Buffy was meant to walk alone. Walk alone, walk alone.

      Oooh I like that quote! Brings me back to an old story idea I had...

      Delete
  2. LOL just realized that should read when Spike and Buffy were in that abandoned house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never finished the series, but SQUEEE, Spike! lol I just love James Marsters. He was sexy bad. Broke my heart when he cried when Buffy died before the move to CW.

    I don't remember the exact quote, but I think it was after Buffy and Angel's break-up, and she had that speech on her bed about not being able to breathe without him. AH! Killed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact, my sister has Netflix. I think I'm going to watch the series.

      Delete
    2. Never finished? It had it's moments after season five. Particularly the musical episode which is one of my all time favorites.

      Do it! Then come back and talk to me about it! I love talking about Buffy.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, often sexual tension equates with "he's hot but not right for me. Damnit."

    I like the cast of How I Met Your Mother, but I don't get the story line - who the narrator is talking to and why. It's too strange to me.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I Met Your Mother is only a little strange. The framing device for the narrative is that the narrator is in the year 2030. He is telling his teenage children the story of how he met their mother. But he's telling it in a long, drawn out fashion, telling them all the missteps that happened along the way. The entire show is supposed be one sit down with his kids (who you may see sporadically at the beginning of some episodes always wearing the same outfits). So the show is one huge flashback with lots of digressions.

      Delete
  5. I've never seen an episode of Buffy (don't kill me!). I'm, as a rule, not a big fan of vampires. I did, though, see the movie. That counts...right?

    Moving on.

    My favorite thing about How I Met Your Mother is how well the writers do with continuity. They are great with remembering these little, perhaps insignificant, things that happened in earlier episodes. The characters are consistent, and have made believable growth. The writers must have seventeen thousand binders of tidbits about the show and its characters. It's admirable. I hate it when the writers forget who their characters are and make them do something stupid (I'm looking at you, new writers of Gilmore Girls for the last season...Lorelai would NEVER do that!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bwhahaha! It counts... for something. I would never kill anyone for not liking Buffy. It was weird and irreverent and not everyone's cuppa.

    Don't kill ME, but I've never seen Gilmore Girls. I have had many friends try to get me into it but I just never sat down and watched it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts. Please comment.