-->

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

IWSG: In Which I Practice Avoidance of My Manuscript

insecurewriterssupportgroup.com
So I'm stalling.

Totally stalling.

Mmm, yep.

See I'm supposed to begin editing my reunion love story. It's gonna be great. This is the furthest I've ever gotten. I've written the whole thing. I've got tons of notes for editing it. I went to two different writing workshops with the amazing and funny Donald Maass and I'm ready to make this story into a something publishable. I'm focused! I'm ready! I'm on the ball-- hey did you know there are ten seasons of friends on Netflix and I've never seen the show? I should probably watch that. Also the living room needs vacuuming. And I need to wash my hair.

This is how it's been for a month.

I got it in my head that I needed to make a better town map and apparently that takes precedent over say, tackling the large issues I have with my hero. It's super important to know exactly how my characters get from the town grocery store to the restaurant says I. So I've been building a handmade, painstakingly detailed street map of my fictional small town. It's more detail than I need or will really use.  But I keep working on it every night. I suppose I'm avoiding the much needed outline I should be working on.

I really hate outlining. As you may or may not remember, I have a rare but serious disease called Outline Induced Narcolepsy. Very serious stuff. I pass right out as soon as I start working on one. I could fall and bump my head if I'm not careful.


I need a system for editing. I need a deadline and I need to quit worrying about this frackedy-fracking map that is eating my soul right now. Though, I'm pretty sure I can finish the map tonight. if I put my mind to it.

And if dinner doesn't take too long to eat.

And if my cat isn't too demanding. 

And if the next Friends episode is dull- and by that I mean a Phoebe-centric episode because I hate those.

Oh look, there's something shiny over there!




14 comments:

  1. I have no doubt you'll get to it when you're ready. Some of the best things need to simmer awhile :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chuckling out loud to your post! I too let everything and anything distract. I must stop it! Quick slap upside my head! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I soooooo get this post (and laughed, too.) If professional procrastination was a sport, I'd be world champion. Care to join me in the mixed pairs competition?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I love this. I admit to having a hard time avoiding Netflix, although period pieces are my downfall. Just keep swimming, er writing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then don't make an outline... Make a map of Conor's brain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally know all about this! There are so many Friends episodes that you could get sucked into a black hole with it. I'm sure I read a post from someone who said they loved writing with Friends in the background. Erm, no!

    On a serious note, I think this might be fear of finishing because you've already got a lot done. You've got the whole thing written and it sounds like you want to live in the place due to your map obsession. In that case... finish the thing, make that map work and start on the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are sooooo many distractions out there! Netflix, Facebook, TV, Movies, Books... Sometimes it's too hard and I just give in, but I feel so guilty!! In the end we always go back to the computer and keep pounding the keys, don't we? So I guess we'll be fine. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your post. So funny. Oh the distractions that keep us from writing. I have to say housekeeping is never one of them. I can avoid looking at clutter anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, so I'm not alone with getting distracted. And I understand about Friends because doesn't it feel as they're your friends too (at least to me). But since the finish is already in sight, instead of slowing down, it'll be best to get back your pace until you cross it. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely understand where you are coming from. It's amazing what lengths I'll go to avoid my manuscript some days. I've even done yard work to avoid editing. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all, thanks for making me laugh this morning. I needed it. I have very bad feelings about the editing process and dread it with each book. I hate when people say, well it's just part of the process. Well, it sucks, but you have to do it. Over three published books, I think I have created a good plan for editing. I am a list person, so I have to have a systematic approach to it and the more stuff I get to mark off, the more motivated i get to keep at it and then I look up and it's done. So, just start and say to yourself I'll give myself 30 minutes to edit and hopefully the next time you look up you will put a dent in it and after awhile, you will see the light at the end of the tunnel. That's the best feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're right. There are so many distractions out there, and they seem to appear most often when I've hit a snag in my writing that has me stumped. My only choice is to lock myself away in my office and just write.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your humor. It would be sad if I never got to read your books. I know I'd love them. And so many other readers would, too. Yes, check out that shiny thing if you must. Surely you know that's the devil hoping to divert your attention from your god-given gift (oh blast, sorry for the alliteration). We need you, damn it! We're waiting .....

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is hard to find your way away from the shiny things. Keep at it as often as you can and you will get there. Good luck from an IWSG blog hoping friend.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts. Please comment.